gallery of style 2018 competition details
A national competition exclusively for hairdressers working at Shu Uemura salons. Each stylist is competing for the chance to win an all-expense paid trip to NYC to style in a professional video and photo shoot and experiential immersion into the city. Each stylist is challenged to interpret the contest theme of “street style”, by bringing it to life with their own artistic hair creation inspired by shu. The three winners of the competition will recreate their submission hairstyle for the shu uemura art of hair video and photo shoot in NYC.
CHALLENGE YOUR STREET STYLE:
Create an innovative, wearable hairstyle related to the theme: artist crafted, street styled, shu inspired. Take it to the streets to shoot your full street style look. To apply, submit a photo entry of your full street style look on Instagram using contest hashtag #galleryofstyle in your caption and tagging @shuartofhair in the photo.
Three winners will win an all-expense paid trip to NYC, including flights, hotels, meals, etc. along with a cash prize, professional upskilling, and a year’s supply of shu product. Each hairstylist and their artistry will be featured on shu uemura’s national social media pages, website, and other prestigious industry platforms.
ENTRY GUIDELINES AND REMINDERS:
- entry must be a street style photo (ex: no solid color backdrop)
- entry aesthetic must be lifestyle (ex: candid photo, doesn’t appear staged)
- caption must include shu products used to create the look
- caption must include contest hashtag #galleryofstyle and @shuartofhair Instagram handle
- street style photo can be taken inside or outside (i.e. sidewalk, restaurant, rooftop…)
- as long as hair is a focal point, photo submission can either be shot waist up or full-length body shot
- iPhone image submissions encouraged
- any stylist in a shu salon can enter on Instagram using contest hashtag
- unlimited entries allowed
- Natural light is best for capturing the color, cut and style of hair. Ensure the light is behind whomever is taking the photograph to avoid shadows and dark images.
- When your phone’s camera app is open, tap once on the part of the screen you want to focus on. Make sure the street style model you are photographing takes up the majority of the frame.
- Instagram allows for various photo sized posts (horizontal and vertical). This means you no longer have to crop your images to fit the square. Make sure to zoom in or out to capture the full street style look (full body or waist up).
- competition begins: April 15th
- competition ends: May 15th
- top 10 finalists announced: May 25th
- online voting begins: June 4th
- online voting ends: June 10th
- top 3 winners announced: June 15th
- national winners trip to NYC: end of June (exact dates to be confirmed)